Monday, September 28, 2009

Celestial Craving 9/28/09

Sunday, August 3, 2008
12:03:12 AM EDT

Celestial Craving


We shall find peace.
We shall hear the angels.
We shall see the sky sparkling with diamonds.

Anton Chekhov

Actors have a bad reputation. The world thinks we are basically ignorant. There are some good reasons for that opinion. For one thing, look at the shenanigans of your average movie star as reported in the media. For another thing, some actors are ignorant about many things. It's not that they are stupid. They're just lazy about anything but their own self-involvement. They will mispronounce a word on stage rather than take the trouble to look it up. I have known actors who just seemed to be oblivious to the world around them.

It was Autumn some years ago. I was doing a show in Pennsylvania. During down times I did a whole series of drawings of autumn leaves. Most of them are gone now. When I finished one I taped it up to the wall outside of my room in the company house. The other actors in the house passed that wall every day. One day one of them asked me what I used to get the leaves to stay on the paper. Why would they automatically assume they were real leaves and not drawings when a close look would identify them? Oblivion. And why would they assume that since I was an actor I couldn't know how to draw?

You answer that. I can't.

DB

1 comment:

  1. They had to have been awfully good to be mistaken for the real thing.((smile-take the left handed compliment and exit stage left-LOL))
    Thanks for the visit on my tag blog-I just posted a few more-a couple with leaves,LOL

    ReplyDelete